Black No. 544

Welcome! Forums Revivals Numbered Black No. 544

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anna 1 year, 10 months ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
January 6, 2014 at 12:43 PM #6895

Alan Jay Prescott

1891, George Bruce’s Son

I am interested in reviving this face. Does anyone know whether this has been done?

July 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM #22955

Alan Jay Prescott

I have begun reviving this outstanding beauty, a toughie for several reasons, but unique. There are many missing glyphs from my collection, however, so I would very much appreciate anything besides the Inland Printer specimens. Thanks to all!

July 23, 2015 at 10:59 PM #22956

Robert

To Mr. Alan Prescott:

Here is a zipped file of Patent PDF version of the font of Black Ornamented No. 544.

Yours Truly,
Robert

July 24, 2015 at 6:29 AM #22958

Anna

Hi Robert,

Thanks for taking care of this specimen request for me!

To prevent unauthorized site visitors from downloading this commercially valuable specimen, I transferred your zipfile to Alan’s dropbox folder and deleted the link from your post.

We need to make a rule that from now on, working specimens will be privately transmitted. The reasons why are discussed here:

http://forums.typeheritage.com/topic/no-specimens/
____

Hi Alan,

To Robert’s patent specimen, I added the one shown in the 1901 Bruce catalog. Next, I will write a history article about it.
____

Thanks, guys!

July 24, 2015 at 6:50 AM #22962

Anna

BlackO-544 ThumbBruce’s Black Ornamented No. 544 was designed in 1889 by Henry Brehmer, who patented his work in January–March, 1890. He assigned the rights to David Wolfe Bruce (son of George Bruce) for the maximum term of 14 years [USPTO D19674].

The first known commercial specimen was published in the January 1891 edition of The Inland Printer. It was still shown in the final Bruce catalog of 1901. In the same year, V.B. Munson, a long-time Bruce executive and successor to the family’s business since D.W. Bruce’s retirement in 1890, finally sold the TF to ATF.

No 20th-century tradename for this face assigned by such collectors as T.J. Lyons nor D.X. Solo has been identified.

July 24, 2015 at 3:50 PM #22972

Alan Jay Prescott

Thanks to the both of you for specimens. I was missing the j,q,x,z in caps and lower case, 3,4,7; and you have supplied the ampersand, bang and several others. Awesome. Stand by in the next couple days for complete revival.

July 30, 2015 at 3:44 PM #23017

Alan Jay Prescott

Black Ornamented No. 544 has been revived as Blackminster PDS Roman. It is hard to believe no one revived this outstanding and delicate blackletter. Thanks for the invaluable samples. There was some guesswork and I’ve created a few more glyphs to round out the letterform. Flickr specimen below:

BlackminsterPDS

July 31, 2015 at 4:25 AM #23019

Anna
This reply has been marked as private.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.