Harlech was introduced by the Haddon Letter Foundry (London) in c1903. It was shown in Petzendorfer’s Scriftenatlas of that year (reckoned by Dover Books); it was not shown in the 1898 edition.
This type producer was established in 1898, a time when the city was in a period of rapid industrial growth. During the urban planning stage, the new street were the plant would be located was named Caxton Street, and the foundry was also called the Caxton Letter Foundry.¹
This business, led by Walter Haddon [b 1864],¹ was not the successor of William Caxton [d 1491], England’s first printer, nor connected with his work it any way.
In June 1899–September 1900, a Mr. James Hay Hutchison, apparently a company executive, was awarded three design patents by the USPTO; the letterforms of Harlech were not among them. Although the rights were not assigned, they are recognized by THP as Haddon/Caxton LF faces.
All three affidavits claim “invention and production.” This legal language is interpreted to mean that the designs were commissioned or purchased from a professional lettering artist; the hefty financial risks of manufacture, marketing and distribution were assumed by the producer.
The Haddon/Caxton Letter Foundry ceased to exist c1930. Little else is known about it except this: The tradenames of their typefaces always began with the letter “H”²!