Named for an area of South Chicago bordering Lake Michigan, the design for this backhand beauty with plentiful alternates and ligatures was conceived and cut by Charles E. Heyer [1841–1897].
Since Barnhart Brothers & Spindler was not yet incorporated, he assigned patent rights to the three principals by name in November 1882; his application was approved about three months later [USPTO D13560].
The earliest commercial specimen examined was shown in three sizes by Palmer & Rey in 1884. By 1889, a fourth size was added; by 1893, two sizes of Lakeside No. 2. BBS discontinued it between the catalogs of 1907 (the last one known before ATF acquisition in 1911) and 1925 (the final one); ATF did not carry it.²