This dual-case typewriter-like egyptian was designed and cut by William F. Capitain [1851–1915+], who patented it in February–May 1885; he did not assign the rights [USPTO D16104].
Marder, Luse & Co., his employer since November 1874,¹ advertised it in The Inland Printer of April 1885. The specimen displays a “premature” notice stating that the patent was issued on April 11.
Loy, W.E. (1898–1900): Designers and Engravers of Type. In The Inland Printer, June 1899.