A design patent was issued in 1872 to Carl Schraubstadter, then superintendent of the Boston TF [BTF], for the original 3D version of Tremont# [USPTO D5493]. His claim that he “invented and produced” it means that he was not the designer; more likely, it was a brainchild of BTF’s creative genius, C.E. Heyer.
In August 1874,¹ Schraubstadter partnered with James A. St. John, manager of BTF’s St. Louis Branch. They purchased the branch and named it Central TF. Heyer left BTF in 1877 and joined Barnhart Brothers & Spindler² before January 1879 [USPTO D11044].
There is evidence strongly suggesting that these former BTF employees maintained correspondence which later extended to J.F. Cumming, who would begin work at BTF in 1881 [Table 3:12-17, 20, 25, 30-32, 39, 43].
¹Mullen, R.A. (2005): Recasting A Craft|St. Louis Typefounders Respond To Industrialization, page 24. Southern Illinois University Press, Carbondale.
²Loy, W.E. (1898–1900): Designers and Engravers of Type. In The Inland Printer, January 1900.
Thanks for a great job on this pretty tuscan, Robert! The one with “tall caps” (what is the right term for this effect?) is perfect for the first and last letters of titles.